Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Me, Myself, and I

Zdravo, Dobrodosli! That, in Bosnian, my native language, translates to "Hello, Welcome!" Yes, I was born in Bosnia and I have lived here in the United States for ten years. Who I am today is shaped by my own culture AND by the American culture. My interests vary, from subject to another, but I will share with you my top three interests. They are:
1. Pharmacy
2. Rowing
3. Healthy Cooking/ Nutrition

Pharmacy as a field is interesting because it involves the human body and the various profound effects drugs have on our bodies. Many categories of drugs exist; most can be placed into a couple of general categories. You have the antibiotics, the painkillers, the blood pressure medicines, the cholesterol medicines, the birth controls,and the tranquilizers. Of course this is not all that's out there. I have been working as a technician with CVS Pharmacy now for a year and the amount of drugs stocked still astonishes me! Work is fun- yes it is a lot of bull dealing with insurance companies and doctors and rude customers, but a nice, (usually) quiet environment that has great pay (as a pharmacist, of course) is what everyone wants for work. Here are a few humorous truths to pharmacy: http://persnicketyrph.blogspot.com/2008/09/pharmacy-secrets.html . I can't help but LOL at reading this because I have been trough it and I know exactly what Persnickety has in mind.

Rowing is my second interest. This is so because this year, I joined my college Crew team, without ever rowing before, and I learned the proper techniques to row a boat. Still, I wonder the effects of college rowing on the body, just how strenuous this exercise is, and how to maintain healthy tissues, bones, and muscles. I want to know the top college rowing teams, as well, and a bit more about them. I discovered an interesting story about a woman, Roz Savage, the first woman ever to row from California to Hawaii: http://sailboats.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/first-woman-to-row-alone-from-california-to-hawaii-roz-savage/.

Healthy cooking and nutrition is also one of my many interests. It is important to keep a balanced meal each and every time you eat. Don't just grab a Monster and a pack of Pop-Tarts and head out in a rush. Instead, keep your fridge stocked with fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and yogurts, foods that will help you look better and certaintly feel better. Light calories should be consumed, and to keep the metablism going (burning more calories), you should consume 5 to 6 smaller meals a day, about 200 to 300 calories each. Some helpful information on low-calorie foods: http://healthycooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/low_calorie_cooking_basics. Nutrition is so important to me because, as i mentioned, I am an athlete and athletes require an even stronger calorie-watch and regulation: http://www.content4reprint.com/health/sports-nutrition-and-athletic-health.htm.

1 comment:

Dr. K. said...

I very much enjoyed your blog about your interestes, and I found teh links to related sites particularly helpful. I hope youa re able to find more pharmacy and rowing as well as nutrition sites of interest to you. Rowing is an amazing sport, and the NSU women's team has a wonderful though young tradition. (I'm happy tos ay that I was on the hiring committee of the coach several years back!)
Your blog is very focused and easy to follow.