Friday, September 19, 2008

A Student Citizen

To be or not to be, that is the question. To be a citizen-student, it means to be responsible, to be involved, and to have a unique opinion. A student is defined as “a person formally engaged in learning, especially one enrolled in a school or college”, while a citizen is classified as “a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection.” When put together, the two create something significant which resembles me. It is quite possible to be a student-citizen, for example by obeying laws and voting. A citizen owns his/her country loyalty and respect. A citizen may not prefer the country in which he or she resides, but dares not give away what makes him/her citizen- devotion.
As a student-citizen, I owe my country my voice in the form of, perhaps, a vote. I owe deference, as well. The connection between citizenship and education is that, for one to be a well-rounded citizen, one must have a good education. It is proven that those with higher education tend to vote at a higher rate that those without education. The reason why this is so is because for a vote, the citizen MUST know who he/she is voting for; much research and information must be gathered before an educated vote is made. Personally, I watch the news every morning with breakfast, and I have been interested lately in the presidential campaigns of Obama and McCain. Since it is my first year that I am able to vote, I feel that it is important to know much about both parties, so that when my vote is counted, my voice is loudly heard. Yes, I do believe that it is my civic duty to vote. If we all voted, the representation of what the entire country desires would be more clearly explained. In this case, the country would be better-off.
My peers may or may not take their civic duty seriously; it just depends on the person. Some are interested, like me, and care about their futures. Others spend more time focusing on the “here and now” rather than what is to come ahead, thus the political situation may not be quite of interest.
It should NOT be one’s “duty” to serve in the military if one does not wish to do so. Forcefulness never works with anything- if one is not motivated to do something, he/she will not do the act in its fullest potential. Also, if one is against war, such as I am, then that person should not be required to do so as means of his/her “civic duty.” The war in Iraq is just a waste of money, valuable lives, and many peoples’ nerves, producing no benefits.
The best way one can express his or her civic duty is by voting and making him/her self heard! Running individual campaigns to promote the candidate is another method of civic duty- involvement. Running a student-government at a school or college helps the younger generation realize the importance of the vote. http://media.www.arbiteronline.com/media/storage/paper890/news/2006/02/23/Opinion/Make-Your.Voice.Heard-2219897.shtml

1 comment:

Dr. K. said...

You have a unique perspective on citizenship because of being a citizen by choice. What is that perspective? You mentioned the war. I'd like to hear more about your objections to it and the basis of those objections. This is the place in which you can exercise your unique "voice" as it may better inform those for whom citizenship in this country was a birthright and not a choice necessarily.